Tuesday, August 18, 2026

Optics

During this summer's heat, I thought I'd rerun this poem. A reminder of the summertime night sky. 


Optics


The planet shine of Venus studs

the brightening sky, but nowhere


do I spy the wisp of a waning moon,

fellow traveler of this morning star.


I scan my windows without luck, reach

for an astronomy app certain to pinpoint

her. But nothing lights up.


Earth's satellite slipped away.


Her presence enlivens midnight's vault,

and retreat implies a curtain of clouds

or a crescent gone early to bed.


But no, this day she simply doesn't show,

vanishes like a lady in a magic act.


My dusty handbook of the heavens 

concedes her disappearance once each 

lunar month.


Then "Sin Sala Bim" and she's back 

as a silvered bow, ready to set, stage right

the following night.




Marilyn Aschoff Mellor  
















No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Optics

During this summer's heat, I thought I'd rerun this poem. A reminder of the summertime night sky.  Optics The planet shine of Venus ...