Wednesday, September 16, 2026

(In)significance

I was looking at the moon the other night and the thought came to me of how I take myself too seriously. In the grand scheme of things, it is nothing. I felt that way in 2021 and I feel that way now.


(In)significance  


The night sky a reminder

of unknown worlds light-years

                                        distant


The star scape a redemption

from the overbearing sun.

Our own burning luminary,

mastermind behind the Aurora.


Despite its confidence in being

the center of the universe, it remains 

a trivial flame, ablaze in a forgotten 

                                            outpost.


An "en passant" solar system

in the Milky Way, itself a bantam galaxy

nestled between billion of others

with Sol only a provincial official

                                         

on the periphery. But I puzzle how this 

can be, since the cosmos clearly revolves 

                                                     around me.




Marilyn Aschoff Mellor

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

(In)significance

I was looking at the moon the other night and the thought came to me of how I take myself too seriously. In the grand scheme of things, it i...